Friday, January 18, 2008

Use Caution When Researching Online

I Googled "Martin Luther King" today, just out of curiosity. I found some great websites like the Nobel Prize website and The Martin Luther King, Jr., Research and Education Institute from Stanford.

I also found a website that, at first glance, looks to be helpful and informative but it's actually an attack on King's ideas. The website is www.martinlutherking.org (Sorry, I'm not going to link directly to this website). When I stumbled across this website, it reminded me of how unreliable the internet can be and that one must be very careful when researching online.

If you're curious to know where certain websites come from, plug in the domain name at http://www.easywhois.com/.

Find out who's linking to a certain webiste by typing "Link:(type URL here)" at www.altavista.com.

1 comment:

Doreen-Detroit Lakes Library Technician said...

Heard of this one before, we ran into at the Middle school when doing research, pretty bad doing something like that but I would expect that from them.